Jersey City Employment Immigration Lawyer

Schedule Your Consultation
Employment Immigration

If you’re looking to make a living here in the United States and you are a foreign national, you need an experienced Jersey City employment immigration lawyer on your side. Read on and contact the Lightman Law Firm to learn more about employment immigration and how we can help you.

Jersey City Employment Immigration Lawyer | On Your Side

There are few things more important than being able to support yourself and your family. If you’re looking to work here in the United States as a qualifying foreign national, we are prepared to assist you through each step of the legal process ahead.

Types of Work Visas

Our Jersey City immigration lawyers are dedicated to helping clients receive a variety of visas, depending on their specific situations. Some of the visas we have experience with are as follows:

  • H-1B Visa: If you have at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in a specific field and are offered a job here in the United States, you may qualify for an H-1B visa, which will allow you to work in the U.S.
  • H-2A Temporary Agricultural Worker Visa: Those who are looking to temporarily fill agricultural positions, such as seasonal agricultural positions, may receive an H-2A temporary agricultural worker visa, which will allow you to stay in the United States anywhere between one and three years.
  • H-2B Temporary Nonagricultural Worker Visa: Certain nonagricultural workers may receive this visa, which will permit both skilled and nonskilled qualified workers to reside in the United States temporarily.
  • J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: This type of visa is for people who are looking to participate in certain approved programs to either lecture, study, observe, or demonstrate special skills. The purpose of this visa is to facilitate the exchange of knowledge and skills in the fields of science, education, and the arts. Common examples of exchange visitors include students, professors, trainees, and specialists.
  • L-1 Intracompany Transfer Visa: These are for executives and managers from other countries who are transferring either to regional offices of the employer corporation or to United States’ subsidiaries.
  • TN Visa (USCMA TN): The USCMA allows certain qualified Canadian citizens to enter the United States to engage in business activities as a professional. A person can hold a TN visa for up to three years.
  • O-1 Extraordinary Ability Visa: O-1 visas are for individuals who’ve demonstrated extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, athletics, movies, or television. You can stay in the U.S. for three years with each filing, and there is no limit on the number of times a person may file.
  • P-1 Entertainer/Athlete Visa: If you do not meet the stringent criteria of “extraordinary ability,” though you are still considered outstanding in the field of entertainment, art, or athletics, you may receive a P-1 visa.
  • E-1 Treaty Trader: This visa is for foreign businesspersons who are looking to engage in international trading activities within the United States. They must plan on trading with the United States directly or they must be someone who works for an organization that does trade with the United States.
  • E-2 Investor Visa: This visa allows a person to work in the United States based on an investment in a U.S. business.
  • E-3 Australian Specialty Occupation: If you are an Australian national and you qualify for working in a specialty occupation, you may obtain an E-3 visa that will allow you to live and work in the United States for a period of time.
  • R-1 Religious Visa: The R-1 visa allows certain ministers or religious workers, as well as their spouses or children, to come to the United States and perform religious duties, such as being a minister to a congregation.

Employment Green Cards

We also have extensive experience assisting clients through a wide array of employment green card matters, including the following:

  • EB-1 Multinational Executives/Researchers & Extraordinary Ability: If you are determined to be a person with extraordinary ability in the fields of art, science, athletics, business, or education, you may receive an EB-1 green card. Note that to receive this green card, you must have demonstrated “sustained national or international acclaim.”
  • EB-2 Advanced Degree Professionals: If you are a professional who holds an advanced university degree, or a bachelor’s degree followed by five years of work experience in a professional position, you may receive an EB-2 green card.
  • EB-3 Skilled and Professional Worker: These green cards are for professionals who hold bachelor’s degrees in certain fields and for skilled workers who have at least two years of training or experience in their field.
  • EB-4 Religious Worker: Certain religious workers are considered special immigrants, and may qualify for an EB-4 green card.
  • EB-5 Investment Green Card: If you invest anywhere between $500,000 and $1,000,000 in a business and play an active role in that business, you may receive an EB-5 green card. You should note that you must maintain the investment for at least three years.
  • NIW (National Interest Waiver) Petition: Most people seeking employment-based green cards will have to have a qualifying pending job offer here in the United States. An NIW waives that requirement.
  • PERM Labor Certification: To get certain jobs in the United States, the Department of Labor must certify to the USCIS that there are no qualified U.S. workers available or willing to work in a position of employment and that hiring a foreign national will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers.

Contact a Jersey City Employment Immigration Lawyer

Lightman Law Firm has extensive experience handling a wide array of employment immigration matters on behalf of our clients, and we are prepared to do the same for you. Contact us today to learn more about how we can assist you.

Our Immigration Insight

Asylum from Russia, Ukraine & Other Former Soviet Union Countries
Overview of the EB-1A Green Card
Overview of the L-1A Visa