H-2B Visa: Temporary Nonagricultural Worker

This category is aimed at skilled and unskilled workers who are coming to the United States for a temporary position.

Some typical professions or jobs that meet the USCIS’s criteria of “temporary” are entertainers, athletes, camp counselors, craftpersons, and ski instructors. Like any other work related visa you must have the correct background and abilities for the job you have been offered.

An important distinction of the H-2B is that there is a limitation of 66,000 H-2B visa petitions that may be approved during the government year, which ends on September 30.

The fiscal year is divided in two so that 33,000 are approved for the first half (first 6 months) of the year and the same amount for the second half of the year.