P-1 Visa - Entertainer/Athlete

Schedule Your Consultation
P-1 Visa – Entertainer/Athlete

If you are an entertainer or an athlete and you are looking to work/perform here in the United States, you will first have to obtain a P-1 visa. Please continue reading and contact an employment immigration lawyer from Lightman Law Firm today to learn more about these visas, how to obtain one, and how we can assist you through each step of the process ahead.

What is the Purpose of a P-1 Visa?

Aside from a few other caveats, this category is for individuals who do not meet the extraordinary qualification of the O category but are nonetheless considered outstanding in their field.

Unlike the O category, this category is only for outstanding artists, athletes, and entertainers.

For athletes, the athlete or the team must have an internationally recognized reputation in the sport. For entertainers, the P visa is not available for individual entertainers, but only to members of groups with international reputations.

An entertainer or artist is eligible for a P visa individually or as part of a group when they are coming to the United States to perform under a reciprocal exchange program between the United States and one or more countries.

Likewise, the P visa is available to entertainers and artists individually or as part of a group when they are coming to the United States to take part in a program that is considered culturally unique.

Applying for a P-1 Visa

Anyone looking to obtain a P-1 visa will have to first go through the application process, wherein your U.S. agent, employer, or sponsor will have to file Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. Additionally, if you’re looking to extend your stay in the United States, your agent, employer, or sponsor will have to file the form again.

If you will be working for multiple employers and your agent is the one who will file these forms, he or she will have to prove that they are authorized to act as an agent for all of your employers.

Contact a P-1 Visa Lawyer

If you have any additional questions about P-1 visas here in the United States, please do not hesitate to speak with an experienced employment immigration lawyer from our firm. We’ve helped countless individuals and their families through all facets of the immigration process, and we are here to do the same for you. Contact Lightman Law Firm today to schedule your initial consultation with our legal team.

Our Immigration Insight

E-3 Visa Tips
Can You Have Two E-3 Visas at Once?
Green Card Interview