What Happens if I Lose My Job With a TN Visa?

Schedule Your Consultation

For many foreign nationals from Canada and Mexico, the TN visa is a fantastic way for professionals to gain employment here in the United States. That said, these individuals may only live and work in the United States until their position for a given employer is terminated. However, having to pack up and move back to your country may not be something you’re particularly interested in, and instead, you’d prefer to continue living and working here in the United States. Fortunately, having your initial position terminated may not be the end of the road, as you may have options. Read on and reach out to our employment immigration lawyers to learn more. Here are some of the questions you may have:

Do I have to leave the United States immediately after losing my job with a TN visa?

Whether you lost your job or left it, in short, the answer to this question is no, you won’t have to leave the United States immediately. This is because there is a 60-day grace period granted to foreign nationals with TN visas. Therefore, you will have 60 days from the date your position at a given company was terminated to explore your options so you can remain here in the United States.

What are my options?

Depending on your circumstances, you may have several options. To start, if you can secure employment at a new location and in your professional field, you may maintain your nonimmigrant status here in the United States. However, bear in mind that your new employer will have to file a petition on your behalf with an extension of stay request in a timely manner.

Additionally, if you meet certain other qualifications, you may also remain in the United States in a period of authorized stay if you file an application to change to a new nonimmigrant status or an application for adjustment of status. In some cases, through an application for adjustment of status, a worker in the United States with a TN visa may have grounds to become a lawful permanent resident, thereby getting a Green Card, allowing them to continue working and living in the United States.

What happens if I don’t do anything within 60 days of losing my job?

If you are in the United States on a TN visa, lost your job, and do not take any action within 60 days, you will most likely be required to leave the United States at the end of your 60-day grace period.

As with virtually every legal matter, waiting to take action simply never pays. If you are a TN visa holder who is recently lost your job, you should strongly consider retaining the services of a competent immigration lawyer who can help you assess your options, and, from there, devise a plan to help you remain here in the United States for the foreseeable future. Contact the Lightman Law Firm for help today.