If you are an Australian citizen moving to USA from Australia and looking to work or live in the U.S., we can help with the ins and outs of securing a work visa or green card.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the most common work visa and green card options for Australian citizens seeking to work and live in America:
- WHAT IT IS: The E-3 visa is a specialty occupation work visa for Australian citizens that was established in 2005. The E-3 lasts two years and can be renewed.
- WHO QUALIFIES?: To qualify for an E-3 visa, you must be an Australian citizen coming to the U.S. to work in a specialty occupation. Specialty occupations are generally jobs that require a bachelor’s degree or higher in a specific field for entry to the position.
- HOW LIGHTMAN LAW FIRM CAN HELP: We have extensive experience with E-3 visas and can help make the application process simple and efficient. We can prepare and submit all your documentation, ensure requirements are met, communicate with your employer, the Department of Labor, and the consulate, and overall monitor the E-3 application from beginning to end. For more info on the E-3 visa, please see here.
- WHAT IT IS: The E-2 visa is an investor visa that is available to Australian citizens. The E-2 visa is valid for 5 years and can be renewed.
- WHO QUALIFIES?: To qualify for an E-2 visa, you must be coming to the US to manage and direct a business you have invested in. The business must be owned 50% or more by Australian citizens and can either be a new business or an existing business. The visa may also be available to qualifying US businesses for their managers/executives and essential employees.
- HOW LIGHTMAN LAW FIRM CAN HELP: We have extensive experience with the E-2 visa, specifically as it relates to Australian owned businesses. We can assist with all aspects of preparing the application and can advise on best practices, consular strategy, and other related items aimed at ensuring E-2 visa success. For more info on the E-2 visa, please see here.
Green Card through Marriage
- WHAT IT IS: A marriage-based green card allows Australians and other foreign nationals married to U.S. citizens or permanent residents to establish permanent residency in the U.S.
- WHO QUALIFIES?: If you are a foreign national married to a U.S. citizen, you may qualify for a marriage-based green card.
- HOW LIGHTMAN LAW FIRM CAN HELP: We will complete all necessary forms and submit everything to the USCIS, thoroughly prepare you and your spouse for the in-person interview, and overall monitor the application from beginning to end. More info on the process and services can be found here.
Green Card through Employment:
- WHAT IT IS: Employment-based green cards allow Australians and other foreign nationals to establish permanent residency in the U.S.
- WHO QUALIFIES?: You will need a job offer from an American employer who is willing to sponsor you for a green card. There are several categories of employment-based green cards that can be found here.
- HOW LIGHTMAN LAW FIRM CAN HELP: As with the any immigration matter, we can prepare and submit all your documentation, ensure all requirements are met, communicate with your employer, the DOL, the USCIS, and the consulate, and overall monitor your green card application from beginning to end.
Moving To USA From Australia?
Want to learn more or get help with a visa or green card application?
Call us at (212) 643-0985 or use the contact form below!