Marriage Green Cards

Schedule Your Consultation
marriage green cards

If you or a loved one would like to obtain a marriage-based green card, please read on, then contact an immigration attorney skilled in green card – marriage law today.

What is a marriage green card?

A marriage green card allows the spouse of a United States citizen or green card holder to live and work anywhere in the United States. A green card holder will have “permanent resident” status until he or she decides – if he or she wishes – to apply for United States citizenship, for which he or she becomes eligible after three years.

How does one obtain a marriage green card?

Generally, obtaining a green card through marriage is a three-step process, which is as follows:

  1. You or your spouse must establish the marriage relationship. The spouse who is a United States citizen or current green card holder does this by submitting Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), which is a part of the United States Department of Homeland Security. The sponsoring spouse must provide:
    1. The government filing fee
    2. Proof that the sponsoring spouse is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident: birth certificate, naturalization certificate or valid U.S. passport photo page
    3. Proof that a legally valid marriage exists: a marriage certificate and, if applicable, a joint lease, joint bank account statements and/or pictures together
  2. You or your spouse must establish the beneficiary spouse’s eligibility by submitting an I-485 filing package complete with:
    1. Government filing fee
    2. Proof of nationality of the spouse seeking a green card: copy of birth certificate and passport photo page
    3. Proof of lawful entry to the U.S. by the beneficiary spouse: copy of I-94 travel record and prior U.S. visa
    4. A medical examination performed by a USCIS-approved doctor
    5. Proof of sponsoring spouse’s ability to financially support the spouse seeking a green card
  3. You and your spouse must complete a green card interview with an officer either from the USCIS, if in the U.S., or U.S. embassy or consulate, if in the beneficiary spouse’s home country. Questions can focus on the couple’s relationship history, as well as their daily activities and future plans together. The intent is to assess the authenticity of the marriage.

If you have any questions about this or any other immigration-related matter, please do not hesitate to call an attorney skilled in family immigration law today.

Contact our experienced firm

The award-winning Lightman Law Firm, founded by Douglas Lightman, has extensive experience in immigration law and international matters through both work and personal experience. With offices in Fairfax, VA, New York, New York and Jersey City, NJ, our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why if you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Lightman Law Firm and schedule your initial consultation today.

Our Immigration Insight

How U.S. Institutions and Employers May Assist in Attracting STEM Talent
Biden-Harris Administration Takes Action to Attract STEM Talent
How To Become a Naturalized U.S. Citizen