An E-3 Visa | What You Should Know

Schedule Your Consultation

For decades now, the United States has maintained the world’s strongest economy. As such, it should be no surprise that even for nationals of fully developed and industrialized countries, the United States presents a wealth of opportunities. To that end, the U.S. offers a wide range of work visas, including the E-3 Visa. For more information on the E-3 Visa process and how our firm can help you, please read on, then contact a lawyer skilled in employment immigration.

What is an E-3 Visa?

The E-3 classification applies only to nationals of Australia, who must be coming to the United States solely to perform services in a specialty occupation. This specialty occupation requires theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge and the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty, or its equivalent, as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States. The initial period of stay is two years, but the applicant can apply for further two-year extensions. There is no maximum number of extensions, with some exceptions.

You may apply for an E-3 Visa for a full-time position or a part-time position. You have the ability to transfer your E-3 Visa from one employer to another. In fact, there are no limits on the number of E-3 transfer applications you can make. While the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services maintain a yearly quota of 10,500, that number has rarely been reached.

As a further benefit, E-3 Visa holders’ spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age are entitled to dependent E-3 classification (E-3D). That means the spouse is able to obtain work authorization as well. Please note that if children of E-3 workers wish to be employed in the U.S., they will need independent work authorization.

How do you qualify for an E-3 Visa?

As previously stated, the applicant must be a national of Australia. To further qualify he or she must demonstrate, among other things, that he or she:

  • Has a legitimate offer of employment in the United States
  • Possesses the necessary academic or other qualifying credentials
  • Will fill a position that qualifies as a specialty occupation

Specialty occupations include, but are not limited to:

  • Lawyers
  • Accountants
  • Doctors
  • Teachers
  • Pharmacists
  • Social workers
  • Engineers
  • Architects

Even if you meet the above criteria, you should contact our firm so we can help you prepare the proper documentation and file the necessary paperwork.

Contact our experienced firm

The award-winning Lightman Law Firm, founded by Douglas Lightman, has extensive experience in immigration law and international matters through both work and personal experience. With offices in Fairfax, VA, New York, New York and Jersey City, NJ, our firm understands what is at stake when it comes to immigration law matters, which is why if you have any questions, you should not hesitate to contact the Lightman Law Firm and schedule your initial consultation today.